Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Social Networking for Book Lovers

If you would rather spend a day curled up with a good book than in front of a computer, have I got some 2.0 sites for you!

I discovered LibraryThing about a year ago and decided to organize the books in my home library using the site.

More recently, a friend sent me an invitation to join her on Goodreads, and, while I am partial to LibraryThing, suddenly I had lots of friends on Goodreads, so I set up an account and invited some other people and now I know what my friends are currently reading, what they thought about books they have already read, and what they plan to read next. I've found books to add to my "to read" shelf this way.

The book club I belong to, which has had trouble finding a good meeting time lately, is considering having some meetings online.

You can even find out what is going on in local bookstores and libraries on some of these sites, as I mentioned in my post on mashups last week.

Listen, or read, more about these sites as heard on NPR's All Things Considered recently.

Maybe you'll decide to sign up for one of these; let us know if you do in the comments and let us know how you like it on your blog.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.